Credit Repair

If inaccurate information appears on your credit report, you have the right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) to dispute the information.

Where can I find information on disputing or correcting information in my credit file?

You should begin the dispute process by contacting the creditor responsible for the inaccuracy. You can find the contact information for each of your creditors at the end of your credit report. You can also contact Commonwealth Mortgage Group to discuss the inaccuracy. Because Commonwealth Mortgage Group is not a credit bureau, we cannot correct the inaccuracy for you; however, we are happy to discuss your credit report and answer any questions you may have. To dispute inaccurate information directly with the credit bureaus, you must explain the inaccuracies in writing. Include copies of documents that support your position. You can also include a copy of your credit report, and mark the items in question.

In your letter, be sure to include:

Special Tip: Send your letter via certified mail and save the receipt. Save copies of your dispute letter and all enclosures. This information should be filed away to document your communication with your creditors and the credit bureaus.

Please note: This letter doesn't guarantee that the changes will be made on your credit report; it just insures that they will reinvestigate your credit report. If changes are made, you will be contacted by the credit bureaus within 30 days.

Send your letter to the three national credit bureaus.

Where can I find out more about credit repair?

Please visit the Federal Trade Commission Credit Repair information at:

Overview Application Checklist Loan Process Credit Information Mortgage Calculators Mortgage FAQs Mortgage Glossary Privacy Policy Credit Bureaus Credit Repair Credit Scores